A message from Liberty Mutual Insurance
From Dennis Goebel, Vice President, Liberty Mutual Insurance
Moving into a new house is a major life change. After packing and unpacking your belongings, there’s still a lot of work to be done. Follow this checklist for common tasks every new homeowner should do.
• Change the locks. The old owners have handed over the keys. But what about the extra copies they’ve made over the years? You’ll never know who has access to your house, so arrange for a locksmith to update the locks.
• Clean the house. Deep-clean the carpets, appliances, bathrooms, and details such as moldings before you fully unpack in the space.
• Forward the mail. Visit the Post Office to set up mail forwarding so you don’t miss any important bills or communications.
• Update your address. Notify all relevant companies of your new address so bills, checks, and other mail reaches you. Start with items like your bank accounts, credit card companies, and insurance providers. You should also update your car registration and license.
• Do a walk through. Familiarize yourself with the house. Make sure any appliances, fixtures, and fittings are in working order. Find out where your circuit breakers and water shut off valve are, so you can switch them off if necessary.
• Sort out utilities. Contact your cable, phone, electric, and gas companies to ensure that all utilities in your new home are transferred over or established as new accounts under your name.
• Implement safety processes. Post a list of emergency contact numbers where everyone can see it. Unpack items like your first aid kit and fire extinguisher, and ensure everyone in the household knows where they are.
Once you tackle this moving checklist, it’s time to enjoy your new space!
To learn more about Liberty Mutual Auto and Home Insurance or get a free, no-obligation quote, call 800-531-4954 or visit Liberty Mutual..
Coverage underwritten and provided by Liberty Mutual Insurance Company and its affiliates, 175 Berkeley Street, Boston, MA 02116. Reprinted with permission from Liberty Mutual. ©2014 Liberty Mutual Insurance